Sunday, May 20, 2012

End of Spring Update

Before the fun of summer gets underway, I decided it was time to give a quick update on what's been going on the last couple of months.

One of the biggest changes for the Ahlberg family is Jace will not be managing Eden Pool.  He's been working at Eden for over 25 years.  The city asked if he'd be interested in managing Star City Shores this year--Lincoln's biggest water park.  More staff, more challenges and more opportunities and Jace said, "YES!"  While it's a bummer he's not going to be walking across the street to work at Eden anymore, it does mean Bailey and Cody can now walk across the street and work at Eden!  The Ahlberg name will remain strong at Eden.  Bailey will be lifeguarding and Cody, at 14, will be cashiering.  He's first real job!

Star City Shores.  Jace would really like to get the name changed to Lincoln Beach Club because when you say Star City Shores rather quickly, well...it doesn't always come out very well.
Trent played soccer for the first time this spring and did an excellent job!  I know as his parents we "could be" somewhat biased.  However, I think both Jace and I were surprised at how he just got in there and made things happened, drove the ball down the field and was able to make several goals in the first game.  He's a quick little guy, too, and--I thanks to his older (and bigger) brothers--he's not afraid to get in there and mix things up.  While I'm not a huge soccer fan, I think the chances of me becoming a "Soccer Mom" are quite high.  No mini van, though.  :)

I'm not sure what's going on here because even in the non-cropped picture, there's no ball.  Trent looks like he's going in for the tackle on Kei...a kid on his own team!  (Trent had yellow socks this season which really helped figure out which legs we should be watching!)

Right in the middle of it going after the shins...er, I mean ball.
Taking the ball and driving toward the goal.  (I know it doesn't exactly look like that in this picture, but it's what I'm going with.  :)

The team: Lightening 2012
Quick family updates:

Bailey (18) - is working at the Perfect Cup and Braeda and will be starting at Eden in a week.  She'll just work at the Perfect Cup on Saturdays and Braeda on Sundays throughout the summer.  We're hoping she takes at least one class at SCC as well.  (Hint, hint, Bailey...)  She turns in 19 in July which means, finally, in the state of Nebraska she'll be an adult.  I think she's looking forward to it. 

Cody (14) - was on the Northeast golf team this spring.  He did great!  The coach said he was one of the most-improved kids.  I can definitely see a lot of golf in Cody's future.  It's a good thing he has a real job this summer!  Jace, Karis, Cody and Drew went golfing yesterday and had a great time.  Cody is a strong golfer with a great drive.  Cody will be on the Eden swim team this summer. 

Drew (13) - just had a birthday and is officially a teenager now.  He ran track for Mickle this spring.  He liked the long distances and held his own in a couple meets.  He'll be playing baseball again this summer.  It'll be the first summer in probably about forever that he and Cody aren't both playing!  This summer Drew is going to Rome with the Lincoln Boys' Choir.  Quite an honor and I hope we'll have pictures of that to post this summer!  Drew will be on the Eden swim team this summer. 

Trent (7) - just finished up his first soccer season and will be going into baseball in a few weeks.  He's doing YMCA baseball this summer so we're hoping for a better experience than last year's season.  And for those of you who saw me at Trent's games last summer won't be surprised at all to hear that I'm going to help coach Trent's team this summer.

Jace and Karis - are still doing what they do.  Jace is finishing up the school year at North Star and getting Star City Shores up and running.  I'm still working and traveling for a work a bit.  I'm usually out the door by 5:25 a.m. Monday through Friday walking about 3.5 miles.  I'm really trying to shed off about another seven pounds and I'll have lost 30 pounds since starting Farrell's last fall.  I'm not sure why I can't get rid of those few pounds.  I'm sure the trips to Dairy Queen don't have anything to do with it!

AJ - took his first trip to Star City Shores today.  I think he likes the zero entry pool!


No comments: